The Indonesian president said on Tuesday that the stadium will be demolished and rebuilt after a stampede there earlier this month claimed more than 130 lives.
“For Kanjuruhan stadium in Malang, we will demolish and rebuild it according to FIFA standards, with proper facilities that can ensure the safety of both players and supporters,”After meeting with Gianni Infantino, head of FIFA, Joko Widodo spoke to reporters.
On October 1, in what Infantino called “one of the darkest days for football,” more than 40 youngsters were among those who died in the city of Malang, East Java.
At the conclusion of a league game between Arema FC and Persebaya Surabaya, fans invaded the field. Police responded by firing tear gas into the crowded stands, causing a stampede. The new stadium, according to him, will have “proper facilities that can ensure the safety of both players and supporters”.
“What I can guarantee to all the people of Indonesia: FIFA is here with you, FIFA is here to stay, FIFA is here to work in a very close partnership with the government, with the Asian Football Confederation and with the federation of Indonesia,” Infantino said.
His promises came as medical representatives reported that a 33-year-old male had passed away from injuries received in the crush, raising the total number of verified fatalities to 133. He stated that improving stadium operations and spectator behaviour will be the key priorities, along with developing initiatives to promote football in schools.