According to state-run media KCNA, the North Korean military said on Monday that recent US and South Korean military drills were an “open provocation and deadly war practice” and had retaliated by simulating attacking their air bases and bombers.
As South Korea and the US conducted six days of air drills up to Saturday, North Korea conducted several missile tests last week, including the probable failure of an ICBM and the firing of hundreds of artillery rounds into the sea.
The military of the North said that the “Vigilant Storm” drills were “a risky war practice of extremely high hostile nature” and an “open provocation aimed at purposely raising the situation.”‘
The army of the North said it had practiced numerous attacks against their air bases, planes, and a significant South Korean city to “smash the adversaries’ incessant war frenzy.”
It acknowledged launching two ostensibly nuclear-capable “strategic” cruise missiles on November 2 in the direction of the waters around Ulsan, a coastal city in the southeast with a nuclear power station and huge industrial parks.
Two “tactical ballistic missiles laden with dispersion warheads” were also launched as part of the activities. A “special functional warhead paralyzing the enemy’s operating command system” was tested, and an “all-out battle sortie” involving 500 fighter fighters.
Korean People’s Army (KPA) General Staff charged Washington and Seoul with inciting a “more unstable conflict.” It threatened to respond to their maneuvers with “sustained, firm, and overwhelming realistic military actions.”
According to a statement published by the official KCNA news agency, “the KPA will answer them more comprehensively and savagely the more persistently the adversaries’ aggressive military activities continue.”