National Unity Day is celebrated every year on 31 October in India. It was celebrated for the first time in the year 2014. In 2014, Prime Minister Narendra Modi formally inaugurated the occasion by flagging off the event called “Run for Unity” in New Delhi.
The reason for celebrating this day is the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on 31st October. Sardar Patel is popularly called the ‘Iron Man of India’. After the country gained independence from British-colonial rule in 1947, he made a huge contribution to the political integration of the nation. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel also played a major role in the formation of states after independence and bringing them together under the Union of India.
The reason behind celebrating this day is to make people aware of the ideas of living together and upliftment of the society.
Statue of Unity
- The Statue of Unity is the tallest statue in the world located in India.
- This is a statue dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
- The height of this statue is 182 meters (597 feet).
- It is located on the banks of the Narmada River near Kevadiya in the Indian state of Gujarat.
- This statue is located near Sardar Sarovar Dam.
- The statue was designed by Indian sculptor Ram V. Sutar.
- The memorial is built on a river island called Sadhu Bet, 3.2 km (2.0 mi) from the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
- The statue and its surroundings cover an area of more than 2 hectares (4.9 acres), and are surrounded by a 12 km (7.5 mi) long artificial lake.
- The project was announced by the then Chief Minister of Gujarat, Narendra Modi, on October 7, 2013.
- It was inaugurated by Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on October 31, 2018, on Patel’s 143rd birth anniversary.
When is National Unity Day celebrated?
Why is National Unity Day celebrated?
National Unity Day is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Which is the World’s Tallest Statue?
The Statue of Unity is the world’s tallest statue, with a height of 182 metres (597 feet), located near Kevadia, Gujrat, at the river banks of Narmada.
What is Statue of Unity?
This is a statue dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. This is the tallest statue in the world.
What is the height of the Statue of Unity?
182 meters (597 ft)
Where is the Statue of Unity located?
The Statue of Unity is located on the banks of the Narmada River near Kevadiya in the state of Gujarat.
Who designed the Statue of Unity?
Ram V. Sutar; Statue of Unity was designed by Ram V. Sutar.