The Associated Press reported citing data from state-run media. The death toll from Wednesday’s earthquake in Afghanistan has risen to 1,150 and over 3,000 homes have been destroyed.
The Bakhtar News Agency said Friday the toll had climbed from previous reports of 1,000 killed and that at least 1,600 people had been injured in the 6.0 magnitude earthquake.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs estimates 770 deaths. Mohammad Nassim Haqqani, a spokesperson for the disaster ministry, told Reuters 2,000 were injured and 10,00 homes destroyed.
‘Wide variations in death tolls and devastation figures are expected given how difficult it is to access villages in more remote areas of the Taliban-ruled country. However even the most conservative estimate makes for grim reading – this is Afghanistan’s deadliest earthquake in two decades.’
‘Reports suggest the eastern district of Paktika is the worst hit with hundreds dead. In Gayan at least 1,000 homes were damaged and another 800 were reduced to rubble in the Spera district.’
image source- gettyimages