A Massive fire spurged out in a timber godown at Bhoiguda in Secunderabad. The cause of the reported fire was a short circuit in the godown which resulted in the gas cylinder explosion. In a blink of an eye, the whole godown was on fire which also had sawdust. The workers also got engulfed in flames who were sleeping inside. The incident occurred in the early hours of Wednesday at around 4 am.
The workers who were sleeping inside, few of them manage to escape out of the fired godown and the rest of them were burnt alive.
The demise workers are identified as Bittu, Sikander, Dipak, Pankaj, Rajesh, Raju, Chintu, Dinesh, Satyander, and Damodar. They were immigrant workers originally from Bihar.
“Electrical and plastic cables caught fire in the godown due to which the fire spread very quickly. All the people were trapped on the first floor with no escape. One youth named Prem managed to jump and was injured. He is recovering at Gandhi Hospital. The manner in which the scrap. including the electrical and plastic cables, which were carelessly stored in the godown is illegal. If the owner of the godown is found to have violated any rules, action would be taken against him,”- stated Police Commissioner C V Anand.