Mahant Swami Maharaj is the current Guru and President of Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS). BAPS belongs to the Swaminarayan sect, a branch of Hinduism.
Mahant Swami Maharaj: Biography
Mahant Swami Maharaj was born on September 13, 1933. At the time of his birth he was named Vinoo Patel. He was born in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
- His father’s name was Manibhai Naranbhai Patel and his mother’s name was Dahiben Patel. Both his parents were Shastriji Maharaj.
- Vinoo Patel completed his primary and secondary education in local schools. Later, he earned a bachelor’s degree in agriculture from the Agricultural College in his native town Anand, Gujarat.
- He got the inspiration for Sannyasa during his early college days. He came in contact with Shastriji Maharaj during his college days.
- Influenced by the life and teachings of Shastriji Maharaj, Vinoo Patel was inspired to enter the ascetic life.
- At the age of 23, on February 2, 1957, he received novice ordination, councilor ordination. After this his name was changed to ‘Vinu Bhagat’.
- At the age of 28, on May 11, 1961, Vinu Bhagat was given Bhagwati Diksha in Gadhada, and was given the name ‘Keshavjivandas Swami’.
- On July 20, 2012, in the presence of senior swamis in Ahmedabad, Pramukh Swami Maharaj formally announced that Mahant Swami Maharaj would be his spiritual successor after his death.
- On August 13, 2016, he became the sixth spiritual successor in the lineage of Swaminarayan’s Gur tradition.
What is BAPS (Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha)?
BAPS (Bochasanvasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha) commonly refers to Bochasanvasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha, a religious and social organization within the Swaminarayan branch of Hinduism. The organization is commonly known as BAPS for short.
Foundation: BAPS was founded in 1907 by Shastriji Maharaj, a spiritual leader of the Swaminarayan tradition. Its current spiritual leader is Pramukh Swami Maharaj.
Faith: BAPS follows the teachings and beliefs of Swaminarayan, which emphasize devotion, morality and spirituality. They believe in the worship of Lord Swaminarayan and his divine successors.
Temples: BAPS is known for building and maintaining intricately designed temples across the world. Akshardham Temple in Delhi, India is one of the most famous temples.
Who runs Swaminarayan Sansthan?
BAPS (Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha)
Who was the founder of BAPS?
Guru Shastriji Maharaj